Wednesday, July 14, 2010

First Round Done - Seven to Go July 14, 2010

Hi Everyone!

We (and I always mean Jim and I, not just me) made it through the first round of chemo and Neulasta. It wasn't too bad all in all and so far. I'm on alert for changes for the next few days, as I get eased off of routine nausea med and steroids and back to regular drug effects. I do have lots of "as needed" meds if nausea pursues beyond these first few days...thank goodness.

The out-patient setting at the doc's office is relaxing, organized and very professional. First comes the IV insert (these nurses rock! No pain), then the Aloxi a new and wonderful anti-nausea med, along with a dose of steroid to make the whole thing work better. Then two big IV push syringes of Adriamyin - red punch color, terrible on veins, carefully given. Then a bag of Cytoxan for about an hour. I managed to knit, listen to a book, talk to Jim, rest. Total of about three hours in the office, then on our way. I actually ate lunch at Taco Bell - my favorite comfort food - and the last I've seen so far.

By about 3 pm, had a low-grade headache which Tylenol didn't cut. By 4 pm slightly nauseated. Ate a few graham crackers. Eventually went to watch Jim eat dinner. I managed a 1/2 cup of refried beans and a piece of bread with water. Where's my wine? Where's the fish I so love?

Took my evening cocktail - a mighty combination of Compazine, dexamethasone, ativan and Vicodin for headache. With the exception of the Vicodin for post-op pain, I've never taken any of the other drugs...but together they made for a good night's sleep.

Yesterday, to oncologist office again for Neulasta shot. This is a colony stimulating factor drug, pegylated to be long lasting. As the chemo wipes out my bone marrow's capability to make blood cells, the Neulasta kicks in with the message to get going again. This lets the docs give my chemo on a two-week rather than a three-week cycle.

Jim had to drive the whole way home (poor sweet baby!)as I was pretty much sleeping the entire trip. We're having to reconsider our plan that I do some of these on my own...may need to enlist one or two of you for drive/fly combos to get me through this mess. We have the next round figured out, though, as Jim has some work in the area when I need to be there for tretment.

Now that you know way more than you'd like about this mess, today is going OK. Still little appetite and tired. I think some of the tired is about effect of the Emend anti-nausea drug. Still hoping to do a little resting, a little working and some knitting today.

We have a beautiful sunny day here! I'm also going to sit on the front porch and watch it for a bit. Maybe take Scout for a walk - we're both supposed to be getting exercise.

Thank you for all your good wishes, cards, calls and more! Am loving hearing from you and thinking of you often. Love, xoxoxoxoxoxoxoMom/Susan

1 comment:

  1. WOW! Sounds tiring. Sorry you have to go through all this. Know that we love you and think of you often. Wish there was something we could do to make it better. Love You.

    ReplyDelete